Serving is What We Do
OAKS INDIAN MISSION
January 9-14 – James Fund / Good Goers’ Combo Trip
Sing to Him, sing praise to Him; tell of all of His wonderful acts.
-1 Chronicles 16:9
Our week at the Oaks Indian Mission was full of God’s wondrous acts. His first wondrous act was to get all 25 us there on time. Because of our size we split the group up into four 6–person teams – just like the Naval Seals…but different.
TEAM 1 took on the task of building new bunk beds for the Guest House which future Good Goer teams will appreciate. Four shiny new bunks and a total of eight new beds for future teams completed and stained by weeks’ end.
TEAM 2 built a beautiful deck on which the future Green House and “Gardener Training Center” will be built. They also laid new flooring, new carpet, rehabbed, and refurbished another cottage for future teams. The new cottage is on move–in shape thanks to Team Two.
TEAM 3 blessed the house parents of one of the cottages by doing laundry… 22 loads in 6 hours, plus cleaned rooms, walls, closets, and floors to take the burden off of the house parents. Team Three also rehabbed and cleaned one of the vacant children’s cottages in preparation for future house parents and kids from a growing waiting list.
TEAM 4 stocked and organized the garment room and then tackled a total re-painting of the kitchen. Once they were done there, they began the up-dating process and painted the basement in one of the children’s cottages. Busy little team they were.
Now, beyond the work of being “hands’ and completing the project work…
- Our team cheered on the girls’ varsity basketball team which four of our girls play on. We won convincingly!
- Our ladies put on an incredible Spa Night for the girls, staff ladies and house moms. This was so cool that even some of the guys showed up. I think the draw was the massage.
- We had a game night for the entire campus.
- We held an ice cream social to celebrate the week with the special family we had made at Oaks. … and beyond all of this:
- Private tutoring took place.
- Private prayer time with house parents and children was a priority.
- Our team bonded and served boldly side by side under God’s amazing grace.
- We were stretched, we grew, and our hearts were turned afresh to the cause of the orphan.
It was our joy and privilege to declare His glory among the Cherokee people and Cherokee Nation! Declare His glory among the nations, His marvelous deeds among all peoples. 1 Chronicles 16:24